Light Broccoli & Cheddar Soup



I am a soup aficionado. I have quite a few soup recipes that I'm looking forward to sharing with you. I whipped up this recipe for lunch with my step-mom today and it turned out great. Broccoli and cheddar soup has a reputation for being high in calories, however, this soup delighted my guest even with only a quarter of a pint of cream and quarter of a bag of shredded cheddar in my fridge!



Light Broccoli & Cheddar Soup

4 T butter
3 T all purpose flour
1 small white onion
1 elephant clove garlic
1 1/2 c no-sugar added plain almond milk
1 quart chicken stock
4 carrots
3 broccoli crowns
1/2 c half and half
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

2 t salt
pepper to taste

This soup starts by prepping the vegetables. Dice the onion and peel the garlic (mince as well if you don't have a microplane, which is what I use). Then wash and peel the carrots and broccoli. I peel the stalk of the broccoli because I like to dice the stem for adding to the soup. Thinly slice the carrots. Then dice the stalk of the broccoli and create small florets from the crown.


Heat a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Melt butter, then slowly whisk in the flour one spoonful at a time, stirring constantly. The whole process should take 1 to 1.5 minutes. This is called a roux. The roux should have movement to it (i.e., not complete paste). Add onion and garlic (grate garlic into pot with microplane if not minced). Saute for 2-3 minutes, adding splashes of almond milk to keep the roux from burning. 

Slowly add chicken stock and remaining almond milk while stirring constantly to incorporate with roux. Turn heat to medium. When the stock is steaming add the carrots and broccoli and cook for 10 minutes. Add cream, then cheese (in small handfuls). Add salt and pepper, then simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.




Share:

6 comments

  1. By the way, the amount of soup I made fit perfectly in our Magic Bullet blender and it worked really well in quickly getting the soup silky and smooth.UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kids of my own yet, but I like to bake with my younger cousin. I talk about food with my students in school and encourage them to get involved in making smart choices at home!

    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! Thanks for that. Homemade can’t be beat. You control everything that goes in and create the greatest dishes.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great twist on the original recipe! Thai is one of my favorite, too. I have all the ingredients in the house, this will be dinner tonight. Love it.
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list! Thanks for that. Homemade can’t be beat. You control everything that goes in and create the greatest dishes.
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. his looks So amazing! I have only recently discovered that I love butternut squash! I was scared to try it after multiple attempts to like spaghetti squash were made, I just do not like spaghetti squash! But I have a cousin who’s tastes are completely different from mine and she loves spaghetti squash and hates butternut, so I had to give it a try and Yum!!!
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete